Children’s books have always been popular on the book market, and independent titles for children are steadily gaining popularity too. However, it can still be a challenge for self-published authors to get brick-and-mortar bookstores to stock up on their books.
Retailers take a lot of factors into account before they stock a self-published title: things like your book’s subject and sales potential, to start with. Even authors with great PR and marketing skills often have to go the extra mile to convince book sellers to stock their books. And unfortunately, not every author has the time or contacts needed to get this done.
If you want your book pitched to bookstores, you can get the help you need with our Retail Focus for Children’s Book service!
Promote your book and let it be seen by independent bookstores with strategic print ads in two publications popular with booksellers—Advance Catalog and ForeWord Magazine—a gallery display at BookExpo America, and a customized sales kit.
This service includes:
- Your book, pitched to 25 independent bookstores across the US (with focus on a specific area or state) over the span of three months, using a customized sales kit
- A single-slot print ad in Ingram’s Children’s Advance Catalog
- A single-slot print ad in the quarterly publication ForeWord Magazine
- A gallery display and catalogue listing at the New Title Showcase (NTS) Exhibit of BookExpo America
- The Booksellers Return Program for 12 months
- A guarantee that at least 2 of the bookstores/retailers will agree to test your book
- You also have the option to extend your campaign by adding 25 more independent bookstores.
- In order for us to guarantee that at least two bookstores/retailers will test your book, we may recommend that you allow our professional designers to make your book cover more acceptable to retailers at no extra cost. Retailers also prefer books that have been professionally copyedited. Make sure your book is retail-ready with these editorial services.
- Your book’s official publication date must not be more than two (2) years ago; alternately, you or your book must have received recognition in any form (an award, a 5-star review, or media coverage) in the last 24 months. If your book does not meet these criteria, we cannot guarantee that the bookstores/book retailers will stock a test copy.
- Your book must already be available for sale before the campaign starts.
About Children’s Advance Catalog
This is a bimonthly buying guide that highlights the best in children’s publishing. It includes children’s products for all ages, author interviews, buyer recommendations, and reviews. This publication is read by over 7,000 retailers, librarians, and international customers via print, as well as 29,000 international and domestic booksellers and librarians in digital format.
About ForeWord Magazine
One of the most reputable publications in the industry, ForeWord is a bimonthly magazine with a readership of more than 30,000 librarians and booksellers— including 1,100 American Bookseller Association members—all of whom make buying decisions and reader recommendations that affect the reading habits of millions of patrons and consumers. It is carried in all Books-A-Million bookstores, select Barnes & Noble stores, and independent bookstores across the US. Founded in 1998, it is still the only magazine showcasing critical reviews and title trends exclusively from the expanding independent publishing market.
About NTS Book Expo America
This event offers a dynamic environment for sourcing new titles, building relationships, and discovering the latest technology trends as well as educational programs to support your progress as an author.