The Story of the Origin, Evolution, and Future of Life on Our Planet
Book Cover & Preview Text
Publication Date :
Page Count :
Page Count :
About the Book
From the big bang, to the origin and evolution of intelligent life in a search for the meaning of human existence, Why are We Here?, by author Bruce Brodie, offers a look at evolution and the future of life on the planet.
Through many years of research and study, Brodie addresses a host of questions:
• How did chemistry come to life?
• How did the release of oxygen by cyanobacteria change the natural history of life?
• How did mass extinctions reset the clock and reshape the course of biological evolution?
• Why are homo sapiens so dominant?
• Why do humans build vast civilizations, while chimps, with whom we share more than 98 percent of our DNA, are confined to forests and experimental laboratories and zoos?
• How will cultural and technological evolution, which have transcended the slow pace of biological evolution, shape the future of life on the planet?
• Can we escape the many existential threats that hover over us?
Why are We Here? offers a new perspective on how we think about the world, and our place and our purpose in the universe and the future of humanity. It presents a lasting sense of the amazing wonder and mystery of life.
About the Author
Bruce Brodie is a retired clinical professor of medicine at the University of North Carolina and co-founder and past chairman of the LeBauer-Brodie Center for Cardiovascular Research and Education at Cone Health in Greensboro, North Carolina. He has been a leader in research in the treatment of heart attacks and has authored more than 200 peer-reviewed manuscripts in leading cardiology journals.