Home > Why iUniverse > iUniverse Recognition Programs > The Star Program
Star Recognition Program
How You Can Qualify for the STAR Program:
Step 1: Publish your book through one of the approved packages listed above. Each of these packages offers a professional Editorial Evaluation, our primary assessment of the editorial quality of your manuscript. You may also purchase an Editorial Evaluation as an add-on service to the Select publishing package.
Step 2: If your book meets high editorial standards, it will receive the Editor's Choice designation. Only Editor's Choice titles are eligible for the STAR Program.
Step 3: Sell 500 copies of your book (at least 250 of which must be sold through retail channels).
Please note that only softcover and hardcover sales will be counted toward the requirement for the STAR Program.
Step 4: iUniverse will notify you when you qualify for STAR status. Fill out the STAR Program Marketing Questionnaire and return it to iUniverse.
Step 5: The iUniverse STAR Board will consider your application, asking each of the following questions during the selection process:
- Does your book have fresh, innovative content and style?
- Is your book in a genre with high sales potential?
- Do you understand your book's target audience and know how to reach it?
- Have early sales levels proven that your marketing techniques are indeed effective in reaching that audience?
- Are you willing and able to continue to generate customer demand for the title with support from iUniverse?
iUniverse will invite you into the STAR Program only if it is deemed by the STAR Board that further investment will help you receive broader recognition and greater commercial success.
Benefits of the STAR Program:
- iUniverse STAR titles are presented by the iUniverse STAR Program’s Rights Consultant, a veteran of the book publishing industry, to traditional publishing houses, international publishers, and audio book publishers for their consideration
- Industry-standard discounts and returnable status with book retailers
- A professional cover reassessment, including the following:
- Revision of the back cover copy and author bio
- A new ISBN
- The addition of the STAR Award logo
- A new cover design, if needed
- A professional edit of the cover text, if necessary
- Google and Amazon Search Program setup
- Library of Congress Control Number Registration
- Submission to specified nationally recognized Book Awards within the first year of publication
- ForeWord Clarion Book Review
- Web-Optimized Press Release
- A feature on the iUniverse Bookstore main page
- Featured placement in a separate STAR Program section of the iUniverse Online Bookstore
Please Note: Due to the STAR Program’s focus on representing up-and-coming authors, back-in-print titles are not eligible for admission into the STAR Program. Also, sales numbers from previous editions will not transfer to new editions
Frequently Asked Questions about the STAR Program